Perched on the Rock and protected by robust fortifications, the oldest district of Monaco faces the Prince’s Palace.
Until the beginning of the XIXth century, nearly all of the Monaco population were established there, the other districts having not being developed yet. Naturally, Monaco-Ville also became the district of the political institutions of the country. Until 1839 and the construction of a road at the instigation of Honoré V, only the Rampe Major dug into the cliff allowed the access. This one always allows the bravest visitors to join the Palace Square by foot from the Condamine. Monaco-Ville became one of the most important centers of tourist attraction to the Principality. Its streets and its walks along the seafront offer a testimony of Monaco history.
The Prince’s Palace
Monaco-Ville is the smallest district of the Principality (2,2 km2 in total).
The altitude of the Place of the Palace, Monaco peaks at 164 meters on the slopes of the Mount Agel.
were counted in Monaco in the 2008 census.
The first constructions on the Rock of Monaco date from 1215 and were the work of Ghibellines.
Acity with constant evolution
Fishermen become active at the entry of the Hercule Port on the foot of a Rocher that still looks like a fortress.
Nearly at the side of the cliff overlooking the Hercule Port, seen from the Monaco-Ville(City) at the beginning of Prince Honoré III rule.
The Major Ramp is then the only access to rejoin the Rocher from the Place du Palais.
The Rocher dominates a Fontvielle still wild 150 years ago…
Impregnable view on Monaco-Ville from the Exotic Garden.Inaugurated twenty years earlier,the Oceanographic Museum shines.
Hover to see progress Photos Archives Monte-Carlo SBM
City travel guide
How to visit Monaco-Ville ?
Did you know?
The town hall of Monaco
The town hall of Monaco is one of the most ancient monégasque institutions.
Since the XIII century,the little community of the Rocher organises in one assembly,of which president is God. A function that persist,under different forms up until the beginning of the XX century.In 1911,the Principality has been divided into 3 communes:Monaco Ville,La Condamine,and Monte-Carlo.In 1920,the commune unique was restored and the city council is composed of 15 members elected for 3 years.In 2006,the mandat passes to 4 years.Around 650 people are employed by the own hall of Monaco that has for prerogative social action,the living conditions,the culture and the animation.13 mayors have succeeded since 1911.The actual one Georges Marsan,has been elected since 2003 and marsan has been renewed in 2015.
Did you know?
The National Council
Created in 1911,the National Council of Monaco occupies since 2012 a designed seat by the monégasque architect Jean-Mitchel Ughes.
Created by the Constitution of 1911,this assembly was originally composed of 12members.The Constitution of 1962 has permitted for it to become a legislative assembly, with a passage of 18 members.Overtime,the National Council has been seen endowed of a growing power.Composed of 24 members since 2002,all elected for five years at universal suffrage by the monégasque citizens,it has for role to discuss and to vote for laws and the budget presented by the Government.It ratifies also international treaties. Its current President,Christophe Steiner,has been elected on the 27 April 2016.
Did you know?
The State Ministry
Also created by the Constitution of 1911,the State Ministry is guardian of Governmental action and international affairs.
At the head of this institution,the State Minister is directly appointed by the Prince,as well as the 5 Government advisers that assist him.Charged of the country’s administration,executive responsible notably of the Public Force.After the Prince,the State Ministry represents the first authority of the country.Until 2002,for agreement reasons with France,it was compulsory for him to be a French citizen .If this rule isn’t current anymore,the tradition remains because Serge Telle has been elected State Minister on February 1st 2016 after a ligue career in the French diplomacy.